22 December 2006

My First Christmas Gift as a Teacher

For the whole week before we got out, one student whom I like but who also is one of my biggest clowns kept saying he had gotten a present for me. Needless to say, I was worried. Would it explode, corrode, implode, unload, decode(?), or another other disastrous -ode away my life, friends or home? Fortunately, I have lived to share my experience.

He came in before testing and presented the gift. A little intrigued upon receiving a heavy, wrapped cylinder I prayed that I was not holding a large stick of dynamite and gingerly removed its holiday robes. Voila, I exchanged quizzical glances with a 1.44 kilo Christmas Stick.

What is a Christmas stick you ask? Well, it's like a candy cane. But let me draw an analogy. Marble is to Heavenly Body as Candy Cane is to Christmas Stick. We're talking several orders of magnitude bigger than your average candy cane, complete with nutritional information on the back (about 70 servings at 22 grams per serving). Yep, just one huge, cylinder of striped sugar ready to stand and rotate outside of a barbershop near you.

At that point, I bust out laughing and thanked the student who looked on grinningly.

2 Comments:

At 1/03/2007 2:57 PM, Blogger the hawk said...

This, more than anything else, demonstrates that you are a good and effective teacher and liked by some which is all you can really hope for. Keep this in mind in times of strife and, have a lick and feel better.

 
At 1/20/2007 6:48 PM, Blogger Lily said...

I saw the Christmas stick, but it's even funnier the way you tell it ;-) How is this semester starting out? Hang in there, you know. About your more serious reflection concerning anger and respect, I often felt the way you did last year. SHS isn't kind and put quite a dent in my confidence (which wasn't terribly robust to begin with). Give teaching another chance somewhere else. There's a good chance it'll heal us. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home