17 November 2006

Required Post McGee

I'll be honest here. I didn't exactly follow the assignment on this one, but I adjusted it to fit what I needed to do in my classroom. A while back (at least it feels like a while back) I felt like I didn't know how to be consistent. I mean, apart from the most objective and strict rules, there's going to have to be an act of interpretation in assigning consequences; in addition, I was unsure how to balance respecting individuals' needs and differences while trying not to be "inconsistent." On the one hand, yes, I treat my students with behavioral IEP's differently than other students. The most effective way to manage these students is not necessarily to "enforce my consequences at every opportunity." Is that being inconsistent or responsive? Which should I try to be?

Instead of trying to be self-consciously consistent with one of my more challenging afternoon classes, I decided to instead make a similar effort to purge disrespect in all of my classes. I would give a warning for each first offense and then it was a referral after that. Every time. I made this clear. I was also given, am still given, and will soon again be given the opportunity to demonstrate how this procedure works on many occasions. While I still feel just as consistent (or am I still inconsistent?) as I ever was, this consistency has made a huge impact. Its gotten to the point where even 6th and 7th period will have quiet days (once a week, at most). That's good.

The plan for break is to pick my battles. I'm going to revamp my rules to a short list of two or three as close to objective rules as I can. I will die by these rules. Except in the rarest of extreme cases, I will give consequences for every infraction.

1 Comments:

At 11/18/2006 7:38 AM, Blogger the hawk said...

I like the sound of it and I think you have it now. In my opinion, it is better to be consistently inconsistent than inconsistently consistent if you get my drift.
If these classes are as I perceive them to be then ambiguity, as I think I once said, will throw everything out of whack. So, having 2 or 3 steadfast expectations with clear consequences is where it's at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home