28 June 2006

Management

28 July 2006

Much of the focus of this month has been on management. How can we manage our students? How can we manage our classroom? How can we manage our lives? I've been thinking a lot about these issues. While Ben, our professor and many of the second years repeat again and again that we need to set up highly structured environment for our students. The rhetoric behind these claims characterizes the students as lacking any structure in their lives, indeed as students who crave some structure in their lives. On one level, I am willing to accept that the evidence behind these claims is true. After all, I don't have any experience with these students; Ben and the second years do. I am less inclined to accept the conclusion their draw from that evidence.

Just because students crave structure, does that mean that, as teachers, we should give (or impose) our notion of structure upon these students? Giving (or imposing) structure, after all, is our justification for the regimented procedures, rules, and, to varying degrees, silence in the classroom. In this model, as Ben as suggested, we use our status as a professional, to some extent, to justify why these students should obey our structure. In turn, we need these structures to foster a learning environment. In turn, we are instilling (one method of teaching, I suppose) a respect for this sort of structure in our students.

My issue with this method of management is that it never explicitly asks the students to own any sort of self-management. It's all based on some oddly objective "procedure" that displaces any agency over the structure itself. After all, it's not the teacher's fault, it's the all a matter of procedure. It even displaces the student from his/her own behavior. It's not the student, but the behavior that conflicts with the procedure. My vision of management would, instead, first work with the students to develop and then put that in place. Practically, this may involve setting out, very explicitly, MY procedures and then working with the students to adjust those procedures. I believe that if the students have a part in making their own classroom rules, they will be MUCH more willing to obey them and to suffer their own consequences.

In addition, I'm also of the camp that interesting work will do most of the management that I would want anyway. I envision a class with lots of group work and lots of inductive learning (even my vision of student-made procedures is inductive at heart). In summer school, almost all of my management problems have come on days when I've known my lessons weren't interesting enough, when I was spending too much time at the board and when I just wasn't giving the students enough to do. Ms. Monroe and Joe both commented that my class might be a little unruly, but I'm not convinced that the shouting out and the 12" voices are a problem. Maybe I'll change my mind, but if most of the talk in the class is about the subject, I think I'm winning. Students will always be disengaged at times. Who wasn't in high school? But "idle" talk between students is not necessarily unproductive. Not only can it help relieve some of the tension of having to be in school, but it can help establish the community that my classroom needs. And, if the work is interesting and challenges the students in ways that they think matter, then a culture of work will emerge, particularly with a healthy dose of encouragement from their crazy and energized teacher.

I think by showing my students this sort of respect, that is, a confidence that they can create healthy and productive social structures will help build trust within my classroom. Most of all, as I said, I think it will help build ownership in the classroom. Since my biggest rule is "Take responsibility for the classroom community," this ownership is essential.

I anticipate the students will be very opposed to this idea at first. Just like my students in summer school were really really frustrated when I first asked them to actually problem solve. But, like in summer school I think the honest I'm almost sweating out of my shirt catches on. While I'm still having tons of problems, one of the biggest successes for me is that many of my students at Holly Springs will tell me when they don't understand things I'm saying. Many will even interrupt me to say they don't understand. In fact, the other day, I was giving a particularly boring lesson and I think we had a good dialogue about why that was and what I could do better. After all, who knows better what's interesting to my students, than my students themselves. So, even in my failure, I was pretty happy that they were honest with me.

So, I guess I'll have some experimenting to do come August. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? I'm really very interested in two things: does anyone read this and, if so, what does anyone think of these ideas.

5 Comments:

At 6/29/2006 6:44 AM, Blogger Ben Guest said...

I disagree, of course. I wish I didn't, but I do. I wish that I felt kids would be receptive to this kind of "open" environment but I don't, at least not early on.

Remember, the keys to management are having rules, and then enforcing those rules consistently. Having a set structure helps the kids to know what the boundaries are.

In any event, I would strongly urge you to keep this in mind: It is much easier to start out strict and then ease up later. It is much more difficult to start out with an open classroom where kids can yell out questions, answers, etc. and then tighten up on them if it gets out of hand after a week or a month.

 
At 6/29/2006 3:12 PM, Blogger Dave said...

In a way, I think we agree at a weird level. I definitely agree that the kids will not be receptive to this sort of enivornment; but that just makes me feel even more strongly that I should push them to work through it. If my students can't learn how to organize, define, and communicate within a community, then how am I really helping them? For me, that is part of a productive learning environment.

I think it depends on context too. I think I will have stricter discussions, particularly in English. I think I need to develop a better understanding of respect before I can let them loose on each other. My lecture style tries to be fast-paced and responsive, so some calling out of answers is ok, for me. And group-work, for me, needs to be somewhat noisy and "chaotic." I want lots of interaction and verbal participation.

I appreciate very much your perspective. It's a good counter-point and challenge to work through. Hopefully, we can keep the dialogue flowing. others?

 
At 7/16/2006 10:11 PM, Blogger Sinister Mr. A said...

I say: (1) Structure creates freedom, not the other way around. I like the idea of training responsible citizens and all that, but I am highly skeptical about the priority you place on students involvement in owning the rules, which I consider unrealistic and unnecessary--basically leading to general confusion at the beginning of the year when firm expectations are a must. There are other, more effective ways to involve your students in democratic processes, such as electing a student of the week. Personally I feel like classroom rules are more like laws of the road. Does every new driver have to vote on the laws in order for them to be worthwhile or enforceable? In fact, the rules and procedures are somewhat arbitrary to some extent, but the students just need to be told which way things are done, just as drivers need to be told when to stop, who has right of way, and which side of the road to drive on. It is about order, not about being a dictator. Once a structure and order is in place, more complex, higher-order tasks can be accomplished with more freedom.

(2) I do not think that noise is productive. The minimum amount volume level to accomplish any given task, I say. The noise and movement of others is fairly distracting and generally counterproductive in the classroom, I believe. What do you think about rules against talking in libraries? Furthermore, if students voices are kept at a low volume, they are much more likely to be (a) on task, and (b) talking to each other in respectful, appropriate ways. Volume seems to go hand-in-hand with inappropriate kinds of talking.

 
At 7/24/2006 3:25 PM, Blogger the hawk said...

I encourage you to gain experience before you try to implement some of your more "idealistic" concepts. We all agree that your ideas are good ones, just damned difficult to put into practice. That's not to say, don't do it; just be more sure of who you are as a teacher.

 
At 7/25/2006 8:03 AM, Blogger the hawk said...

I didn't articulate what I was thinking very well. I think that you have to start out with an imposed structure. The reason for this is that the students are used to have one superimposed upon them. The ambiguity created by the lack thereof creates both anxiety and anarchy. So, in order to do what you want, you will have to teach them how to determine their own rules/environment and that it is okay to do so by concensus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home